Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

One of the main figures in the early moves for a school in the Pialba district was Mr Boyle Martin of Bill Bill, about four miles from Pialba. On 22nd April 1878, a public meeting was held at Bill Bill to arrange for the establishment of a provisional school there to serve the people of the Bill Bill Scrub Settlement. At the meeting, a Building Committee consisting of John Nash, Neils Fredricksen, Mr. Hansen, Christian Moes and Boyle Martin, was elected.

An application form and list of prospective scholars was sent to the Department. This stated that there were 21 children available for the school, all from the Bill Bill Scrub Settlement, and that a suitable building was available locally. It should be mentioned that provisional school buildings in those days were provided by the local people (even in the case of State schools, the people had to provide one-fifth of the cost), and could be any reasonably suitable building. In this case, the building available to the people was a Lutheran Church on the Pialba Road, constructed of slabs and sawn hardwood.

Mr. J.H. Barkell, the first head teacher opened the school on the 30th July, 1884.